Friday, July 25, 2008

Going down hard!

Yesterday the plan was to go out for my bike ride and get my workout in and then when I got back I was going to go out with Lea for her bike ride because she doesn't like going out on the highway yet by herself. So my bike ride went awesome, I was doing some short time trials at all out effort and I was feeling so excited because I've never felt this good and this fast on my bike. I got back home and picked Lea up and we started out and about 10minutes in if that I was watching her and how she was riding and I stopped paying attention to the road in front of me for a second and next thing I know I'm flying through the air. There was a little chunk of pavement missing and I much of hit that and lost control. My bike went flying out from under me and I landed hard on my right hip. I landed in the gravel and I knew right away that it was going to be hell cleaning it up. I only got one little cut on my hands, guess I didn't get them out in front me fast enough to brake my fall. I got a good one on my for arm but the majority of the damage is on my leg. It starts about halfway up my calf and runs all the way up to my hip. the whole section of my leg got cut and scrapped pretty bad but the worst of it is definitely my hip. My hip swelled up pretty good, looked like it was sticking out about an inch at least. Last night I think once the shock wore off I could start to feel the pain throughout my hip and not just where it was cut. When I got home I sat on the side of bath tub wondering how I was going to clean this. I refused to go to the hospital and let them scrub it. I'm a baby when it comes to stuff like that! I pass out when I get needle... So I just took a wash cloth and ran it under cold water and would place it on one part of my body, let the burning go down a bit then try and wash and scrub away as much of the dirty as I could. While I was doing this Lea went up to the drug store just up the street to see if they had anything that I could use to clean it with but wouldn't sting. she gets back and the first thing she tells me is the pharmacist is a biker also and the first thing he ask was is my bike ok?! Who cares if I'm alright...just worry about the bike. Any yes for everyone who is wondering I think the bike will be alright. Or is that a bad thing because if it was broken well then that would be horrible because then I would have to get a new one. Wasn't that your excuse Drew?! Anyways I'm still alive and will hopefully mend quickly.
I was reading the blog of James Loaring a Pro triathlete from southern Ontario who has been racing on the world cup circuit for a few years now and came across his race report for Muskoka and this is what he had to say about the beginning of the race..."The gun finally went off and immediately it was a very fast opening pace that reminded me of an ITU race (thanks to Buddy Green who is a sub-16 minute 1500m swimmer). " I had a little chuckle after I read this because it definitely was a fast pace that I set and those two guys who were able to hang on to my feet and draft me for the whole 2000m swim right until the end were I pulled ahead a bit can thank later.
So not much else is new, still painting and getting a few things done around the house. We're looking forward to having a few friends and family over on Sunday for the BBQ. Maybe tonight I can get Lea to take a picture of my battle wounds and I can put a pic up of the damage. Hopefully I'll be back training very soon, I'm thinking Monday and for the weekend I'll get some good rest and I'll do some tubing instead of swimming.

"Thank you to the people who said I couldn't, you have been what has defined me, never give up, and never back down."

No comments: